Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Musings on Existence

In the realm of relativity everything is unreal and the search for absolute is the vain hope for a world devoid of change. Change is the only absolute in the mortal world; everything changes. And in this flux of everlasting, constant change I strive to define my life and the reasons behind it. I try to define the root of my happiness, sadness, worries, celebrations and all else in between. I try to find "me". I try to understand this creation. I don't find many definite answers, so I treasure the ones that I do find.

The subtle manifestations of cause and effect are undeniable. Yet, in the short-term life can be random. And in the long run? Well, as somebody said that in the long run we all will be dead. Perhaps there is an after-life, perhaps there is not. Perhaps God is the psychotic, vindictive, maniac people make him out to be. Perhaps he is simply a disinterested third-party observer watching his inferior experiments with disdain. I don't know. I don't know if there is a heaven or a hell, or if there is any meaning to life. I just know three things: I exist, I can think and I wish to excel.

Many philosophers deny existence, labelling what we see as an optical illusion conditioned by the mind. Having studied semantics, logic and cognition; I do have sympathy for some of their views and I can definitely see from where they are coming. Nevertheless, I think denying the entire existence is a shade too extreme. At most we can see ourselves as deluded or conditioned, from which one can escape by simply desiring to be free and by keeping an open mind.

No comments: