Tuesday, January 20, 2015

What's New About What I Say About Meritocracy?

Meritocracy, by any stretch of imagination, is not a new idea as you can learn from this Wikipedia page. Then, how is my contribution different, and why the hell am I spending so much time thinking and writing about it?

Most of the ideas about meritocracy that I have come across mainly focus on the "what" (the wise should rule). There are ways of getting smart people involved in governance structures and administrative services, dating back to ancient China. However, the role of meritocracy is often limited to getting the people but not extended to promoting them or rewarding the right behaviour in the long run. The focus on "how" to enshrine meritocracy as  way of life in a complex human society is missing, and often takes a very idealistic view of human nature. I also think that it does not pay enough attention to making the system "fool-proof" i.e. building in safety mechanisms to prevent degeneration. I hope my work will contribute in the direction of implementing a meritocracy on the ground.

The following writers, in no particular order, have inspired my thoughts: 

Ayn Rand (Atlas ShruggedThe Fountainhead)
Chanakya (Arthashastra)
Niccolo Machiavelli (Discourses on the first decade of Titus LiviusThe Prince)
Plato (The Republic)
Robert Greene (48 Laws of Power)
Ronald A Heifetz (Leadership Without Easy Answers)
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar (God Loves Fun, etc.)

I have also relied on the political events that I have witnessed or read about during my own life time and my own experiences. Of course I have used the mighty Google to aid me with my little project :).

No comments: